"Street names in honor of many famous people of Ukr" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Favorite Tip by OlenaKyiv
Kiev General: 194 reviews and 269 photos
Kiev is a large city with a lot of streets, and because Ukrainian (and European) tradition doesn?t have such thing as just giving numbers to streets and avenues, which is popular in the US, Ukrainians have to express their imagination in coming up with names for new street. That is why so many streets in Kiev are named by names of famous people in art, science, politics, and history.
- Gonchara Street, downtown (writer)
- Grushevs?kogo Street, downtown (historian and politician)
- Bulgakova Street (writer) and Korolova Avenue (scientist), Borshchagovka minidistrict
- Khmelnyts?kogo Street (historical person), downtown
Fondest memory: Some streets changed their names from Soviet times names to the old ones or new. For example, Vasyl'kivs'ka Street before was name Krasnoarmeys'ka Street (in honor of bolsheviks - reds). European Square changed its name from Third International's Square.
More Reviews (59)
- See All Do Ukrainians eat ethnic cuisine?
- See All What you should notice in St. Sophia
- See All The best home-cooked food
- See All Babiy Yar - not only in Kiev
- See All Getting around by a taxi