"Summerfest 2007" Virgilina Favorite Tip by b1bob

Creedmoor, NC Volunteer Fire Department
      Halifax County Republican float

Favorite thing:

en español, em português

Fondest memory: Summerfest 2007 was, by and large, the most fun of the lot up to that time. The previous year, gipper84 went with me, but we had to leave in the middle of it to be in Covington. That next year, my brother Hunter, my sister-in-law Jen, my niece Lexi, and their two dogs Anubis and Osiris accompanied Lee and me to Grandma's house. It was one of the hotter festivals, but I learned my lesson from the last hot one in 2002: this time I used my sun block. The 11 a.m. parade was longer than most of them, but there were fewer marching bands than in the past, not even the Halifax County High School band was there. There was still no shortage of fire engines. Like usual, they came from as far south as Creedmoor, North Carolina and this was the first time I can remember Clarksville entering a fire engine. Lexi enjoyed the parade until one of the older fire engines turned on the siren which was too loud for her. The stew from the fire house was about the same as always. Dorothy and Mildred ended up not coming, so there was plenty of food for the lot of us. Between lunch and the evening dance in the streets, Lee and I went to Oxford, North Carolina for his architectural tour and I took that opportunity to replenish my supply of Cheerwine. As always, the fire station sold chicken or pork barbecue plates for supper. Because I was not keen on the side dishes, my supper consisted of a Polish sausage and fries sold from a trolley next to the town hall. Lee didn't get much supper because when he momentarily set his plate down, a passing dog ate a goodly portion of it. He later had supper in Clarksville. Summerfest 2006 was the first one in which I marched in the parade. This one was the first in which I summoned the courage to dance in the streets. The tune that inspired the courage was "Rocky Top Tennessee" and "Rollin' in my Sweet Baby's Arms." In spite of the dog eating his supper, Lee enjoyed his first full Summerfest.

• Updated Sep 6, 2007

Comments

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

b1bob

Have you been to Virgilina?