Creperie Chez Suzette: "Crap-erie would be more appropriate" CrÍperie Chez Suzette Tip by nancy531

CrÍperie Chez Suzette, Montreal: 4 reviews and 3 photos

We ate here a few years ago and I remember enjoying the fondue very much. That's why I put it on my list of must-do things for this trip to Montreal. Besides, it's hard to find good crepes, so I always crave them. The location in Old Montreal is perfect, nestled among a load of other restaurants and since I had already decided I wanted to eat there - I didn't think too hard when we walked in and asked for a table. I should have noticed the badly done menu and listened to the alarm in my head that kept going off while I was looking at what other diners were eating. It didn't look like anything I would want, but for some reason - maybe my eternal optimism - we went ahead and ordered instead of running out. My husband got the smoked salmon crepes ($15) and I got the cheese fondue ($18). The crepes were cold and looked and tasted like they had been made days before and taken out of the cooler just to serve to us. No creme freche or anything you would expect with them. The fondue was ok - but the bread was really gummy average white bread. Not any attempt at real french bread, or even toasting the crappy bread. It was so below my expectations that we just paid and left. The waiter was bad too...I tried to get a wine list - no luck. Worse...my husband ordered a Raftman beer which had instructions on the back on how to leave a little in the bottom - basically they have some residual yeast that you are supposed to leave in the bottle. So, the waiter comes to pick up the bottle to take it away, notices the small amount of liquid, and picks it up and dumps the gross yeast crud in my husband's beer glass! Yuck - over priced bad food - when there is no need to do it. There are several other restaurants nearby. My recommendation ....keep walking.

Favorite Dish: The fondue itself was good - maybe if you brought your own bread?

Address: 3 Rue Saint-Paul est
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Old Montreal - east of the main street.
Phone: 518-874-1984
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 1
Theme: French
Website: http://creperiechezsuzette.com/

• Written May 28, 2007

Comments

nancy531

“I got the travelin' jones”

Have you been to Montreal?