Falcon's Nest: "Another pub to try" Top 5 Page for this destination Falcon's Nest Tip by toonsarah

Falcon's Nest, Newcastle upon Tyne: 1 reviews and 3 photos

Falcon's Nest pub
      Falcon's Nest pub
      Dinner in the Falcon's Nest
      Dinner in the Falcon's Nest
    by toonsarah

We tried this pub for dinner on a recent visit to Newcastle, mainly because freinds were stying in the adjacent Innkeepers Lodge motel. It's part of the same chain as the Badger (see one of my other tips) and very similar, although I didn't enjoy the food quite as much - but that may have been due to my choice rather than their cooking. Certainly the service was friendly and there's a good selection of standard pub favourites like fish and chips, plus some less common dishes such as my warm black pudding, bacon and flat mushroom salad. The latter was very tasty apart from some unnecessary (and unnecessarily large) croutons. I washed this down with a couple of glasses of very reasonable Rioja and followed it with a pleasant Irish Cream cheesecake.

Service as I've said was good, though it took us a little while to realise that we had to place our order at the bar. Once we'd done that the staff were very attentive and were happy to take further orders for desserts and drinks at our table.

We all assumed the building was old and spent some time speculating about its origins. It looks like several cottages knocked together and has a wonderful brick fireplace with a mysterious door in the centre of the dining area. I've since read a review that claimed that the building is actually a new build, but I'm still not sure I believe that. If true, it's an amazing piece of deception!

We have been back quite a few times since, and have found it consistently good - better in fact than that first visit suggested. Definitely better than average pub food and wine, and at reasonable prices.

Address: Rotary Way, Newcastle, NE3 5EH
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Just off the Gosforth Park roundabout north of Newcastle on the A1056.
Phone: 0191 236 7078
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Website: http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thefalconsnestgosforthpark/

• Updated Nov 1, 2014

toonsarah Visits Here Frequently!

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Newcastle upon Tyne?