"AN AFRICAN CASTLE" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Things to Do Tip by DAO
Africa Things to Do: 366 reviews and 1,024 photos
The Ethiopian Emperor Fasilides came up with a unique way to protect his power base. He built a castle! Also know as Fasil, he founded the walled city of Gonder in 1634. With a high 900 metre long wall, he was able to build and protect a collection of palaces, churches, monasteries, baths and even houses for Abyssinian Lions. The fortress is the only one of its kind in Africa. The walled turrets, thick stone defences and even arrow slits to protect defenders look more at home in a European country. Most of the citadel is intact, showing the wisdom of Fasilides in erecting his defences.
Please visit my Gonder Page for a lot more information and great pictures:
DAO’s GONDER PAGE
Address: GONDER, NORTHERN ETHIOPIA.
More Things to Do in Africa (86)
More Reviews (340)
- See All Don’t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL – THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels