Grace Guest House: "Grace Guest House--Dishonest; Avoid Like Plague" Chiang Mai Hotel Tip by robotboy15

Chiang Mai Hotels: 262 reviews and 387 photos

Just a warning about Grace Guesthouse in the Northeast Corner of the Old City (on Moon Muang Soi 9).

These folks keep terrible book accounts. I have been--since first arriving here almost a month ago--pre-paying for a week at a time. Today I was informed that I did not pay for the last week and in a very rude was I was informed that I had one hour before they "call their policeman". I was able to remind Grace, the owner, of the conversation that we had at the time that I paid. She began screaming "You not pay! You not pay." Yes, I should have kept the receipt. (And I thought I had. Evidentally, it got tossed during a periodic decluttering.)

They seem like old hands at this. My suspicion is that they pull this periodically; worst that happens is that someone presents the receipt. Best case scenario, they double charge.

I'm going to pay them twice. It's not worth hassling with the police for $35, (especially without a receipt to back it up). But I"m hoping that this warning will keep others away. It's a great city with a lot of great places to stay. Grace Guesthouse is one place to avoid.

Address: Old City, NE. Moon Muang Soi 9
Theme: Pension/Guesthouse

• Written May 20, 2007

Ranked Member

Have you been to Chiang Mai?