"Cathedral Square at Night - no Place to Stay" Top 5 Page for this destination City Center Tip by Kakapo2
City Center, Christchurch: 128 reviews and 163 photos
Christchurch has missed a big chance to use Cathedral Square as the heart of city nightlife. I think of Italian cities and their squares, like Piazza Navona or the the square next to the Pantheon in Rome, or the city centres in France which are full of outdoor restaurants and cafés. All this transforms those squares into buzzling and joyful meeting places.
Here the Square is more or less dead at night. The places to go to are in the streets that lead away from the Square which is strangely empty. This gives nice views of the Cathedral and the other buildings which are nicely reflecting in the spotlights, but you would not want to stay longer than necessary.
Also during daytime the Square could be much better used for hospitality, with two or three more cafés than just Starbucks.
More Things to Do in Christchurch (65)
More Reviews (178)
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Christchurch Heroes
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Been to Christchurch?Share your travels with the world!
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels