"Pinckney Island National Wildlife Reserve" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilton Head Island Off The Beaten Path Tip by grandmaR

Hilton Head Island Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 20 photos

  Trees on the island
by grandmaR
 
  • Trees on the island - Hilton Head Island
      Trees on the island
    by grandmaR
  • Information sign - Hilton Head Island
      Information sign
    by grandmaR
  • Sign about the refuge animals and activities - Hilton Head Island
      Sign about the refuge animals and activities
    by grandmaR
  • Pinckney Island National Wildlife Reserve - Hilton Head Island
  • Bird Habitat expansion in progress - Hilton Head Island
      Bird Habitat expansion in progress
    by grandmaR
 

We stopped here on our way out of Hilton Head. At the time we were there construction was going on for the expansion of bird habitat (photo 5). The refuge entrance is located on U.S. 278, 0.5 miles west of Hilton Head Island.

The refuge was established in 1975 and open to the public in 1985. Pinckney Island is the largest of four islands in the refuge, and the only one open to the public. In addtion to Pinckney, the 4,053-acre refuge includes Corn Island, Big Harry and Little Harry Islands, Buzzard Island and numerous small hammocks.

There are concentrations of white ibis, herons and egrets and wading bird rookeries and osprey nests can be found on the island. Two of the island's freshwater ponds were ranked in the top twenty wading bird colony sites of the South Carolina Coastal Plain during 1989 and 1996. Bald eagles are not an uncommon sight. Nearly 67% of the refuge consists of salt marsh and tidal creeks. A wide variety of land types are found on Pinckney Island alone: salt marsh, forestland, brushland, fallow field and freshwater ponds.

The island was once included in the plantation of Major General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a prominent lawyer active in South Carolina politics from 1801 to 1815.

The second photo has a sign which says:

" Inhabited for some 10,000 years, Pinckney Island was known as Espalanga Look-out and Mckey's prior to about 1775. Alexander Mackey received two Proprietary grants for land on the island in 1710. Charles Pinckney later owned the island and willed it in 1769 to his son Charles Cotesworth who became a successful planter here.

Phone: (912) 652-4415.
Website: http://www.fws.gov/pinckneyisland/

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Jul 13, 2007
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Online Now

Female

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 2 5
Forum Rank:
0 0 0 6 8

Have you been to Hilton Head Island?

  Share Your Travels