"A tour with a guide speaking only Chinese" China Things to Do Tip by melosh

China Things to Do: 765 reviews and 1,190 photos

Chinese guide --no English, but sweet.
by melosh
      Chinese guide --no English, but sweet.
    by melosh
      Atypical Chinese group (no baseball caps)
    by melosh
      Chinese tour group -- student version
    by melosh

Do you want to experience part of the new life of China? Do you want to visit important sites without having to engage in trying to listen to a guide's inane patter? Do you want the convenience of transportation between various sights without the hassle of trying to make your own arrangements? Do you want to save money?

If your answer is yes, consider taking a Chinese tour with a Chinese speaking guide. It is not considered impolite to not listen to a guide speaking in a language you do not understand. In fact, when I took such a tour the guide would indicate how much time we would be at a certain place and I could wander in front or behind the group without any problem. And although no one on the bus spoke English, they were all looking out for me to be sure that I was not left behind.

The cost of the "tour" was only 60 cents more than the cost of the entrance tickets and bus transportation to and from the first sight. I do not know what the cost of trying to go between the sights on my own would have been. Overall, it was well worth the cost.

My only regret is that my tour did not include one of those colored baseball caps worn by so many tour groups. Later I found someone who whould lend me their cap and take my picture for me.

• Updated Jul 3, 2007

More Things to Do in China (1)

“If you have not been, you can not know.”

Have you been to China?