Abu Ali Seafood: "Great Seafood Local Style" Abu Aly Seafood Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Abu Aly Seafood, Cairo: 2 reviews and 3 photos

Local Seafood Soup
      Local Seafood Soup
      Outside Abu Ali
    by SabrinaSummerville

This is the sort of restaurant that I probably wouldn't dream of eating at if I were on holiday, but as this was a business trip and as my host suggested it I could hardly refuse.

From the outside it looked like a local "shack" and as we pushed open the door it didn't look much better - long bench style tables covered with cloths, fans blowing some cooling air (air conditioning hasn't been heard of in this restaurant), groups of locals huddled around a tv watching Man Utd v Man City in Arabic (I kid you not), and the "menu" consisted of large coolboxes filled with fish wherefrom you chose your own. As soon as I saw the fish, however, my initial impression changed and I figured I was going to get something worth eating.

In what I have learned is Egyptian style, plate after plate of delicious food arrived at the table for all to share - delicious mezze with puffy pitta bread, bowls of steaming freshly made local fish soup, calimare in hot salsa type sauce, deep fried calimare, giant plates of grilled king prawns in the shell, and the biggest, freshest, tastiest whole grilled fish you ever had.

This was washed down by bottle after bottle of refreshingly chilled water - soft drinks are also served, but not a drop of alcohol in sight.

If you're willing to "rough it" in this heat that even the fans cannot cool, then you will simply love this place.

Favorite Dish: Anything seafoody - you simply cannot go wrong.

I am addicted to the local fish soup which contains whole crab that you are expected to suck the meat from as the soup dribbles down your chin. It's divine.

Address: Ain Soukhna, Egypt.
Directions: 20 kms south of Suez.
Phone: +20 62 3411230
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated May 12, 2007

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Cairo?