Maison Do Arrieiro: "Galician Cuisine" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Restaurant Tip by suvanki

Santiago de Compostela Restaurants: 40 reviews and 28 photos

Caldo Galego - Galician cuisine

Caldo Galego - Galician cuisine
      Maison Do Arrieiro Santiago de Compostello
    by suvanki

I chose this place as I'd spotted an empty table from the street, and the menu looked reasonable.

As a solo female, I often chose a place to eat in for different reasons than if I was with someone. This place was comfortable, and I ate here on both of my evenings.

A small restaurant, red checked plastic tablecloths, wooden chairs and tables, framed prints and posters on walls, small bar area, chilled food cabinet, tv on the wall.

Apart from myself the others eating or drinking were locals of all ages.

Set menus of 3 courses from 10 - 15 euros.
Galician delicacies of seafood, ham, Caldo Galego, empaladoes and Tarte Santiago are served.

I don't usually chose set 'tourist' menus, but the choice was good - local cuisine- and reasonably priced.

My first night I had the Menu Marineiro (15 euros)

Clams in sauce with cheese (mopped up with delicious rustic crusty bread), A fish steak (I'm not sure what fish but it was tender and tasty) served with sliced potatoes, peas and roast garlic cloves and a stock sauce. Finished with Cheese cake. With bread (0.50) a small bottle of water (1 euro) and a glass of local red wine (2.50). This came to 19 euros.

The 2nd night I chose the Menu Casa (11 euros, which included a glass of wine and bread) Caldo Gallego (Soup made of cabbage (or grelos - a local vegetable like brussels sprouts tops), haricot beans, pieces of ham and paprika), Bistec de termera (steak and fries) and slice of Tarte de Santiago (Almond tart traditionally dusted in icing sugar, with the cross of St, James)

I quite enjoyed this unpretentious restaurant, with simple tasty well cooked food. It's on Rua da Raina which is one of the streets known for its eateries.

Nearby Rua do Franco and Rua do Vilar are also famed, especially for seafood.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the chance to try some typical Galician cuisine. This was all tasty and served without fuss.
Even though it was on the main restaurant trail near to the Cathedral it felt more like a locals restaurant. However it might be very different in the daytime in Summer to a January night.

The waiter/ ? proprietor didn't speak any english. To be honest, I prefer this - the fun of not quite knowing what You've ordered, a chance to try out my very few words of Spanish, and lots of pointing/ miming etc.

I enjoyed all the meals I mentioned above, and would come here again

Address: Meson Do Arrieiro Raina 9 Santiago de Compostela
Comparison: about average
Directions: From the Cathedrals Pl de Praterias, with your back to the cathedral turn R. into Rua de Fonseca. Take 1st L. into Rua de Raina. Restaurant is nearby on the left.

Raina runs parallel to and between R. Vilar and R. Franco

Phone: 981 585587
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Feb 7, 2009

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Santiago de Compostela?