"Around the Island (Oahu), Snorkeling" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Things to Do Tip by joiwatani

Hawaii (State of) Things to Do: 553 reviews and 840 photos

%cgThe bus that goes to Polynesian Cultural Center
by joiwatani

If you are in Honolulu, catch the Bus #7. This bus will take you around the island. Make sure to stop in Haleiwa to eat the shave ice. Walk around in this little town. There is a small tattoo place there and have most of the islands' prints. There is also a thrift store close by where you can buy used Hawaiian t-shirts and Hawaiian dresses. It is cheaper than buying these in downtown Honolulu!

Don't leave Oahu by not going to the Polynesian Center. Go there early so you can visit all the villages. Watch the performance of the coconut-husking in the Samoan village. It is so much fun. Make sure to watch the performance of the students at night. The Hawaiian dances are awesome!!!

The Polynesia Cultural Center experience is a one-day adventure. Believe me, you have to have a whole day to go there. The fireworks display -Samoan Style is amazing.

The Polynesian Cultural Center covers 42 acres and I was amazed how huge it is! I saw how the Samoans make fire and climbed coconut trees with bare hands. We also watched the night show for the Haka war dance.

There is also the IMAX movie that we watched.

The canoe ride was nice. We passed seven Polynesian villages: Hawaii, Tahiti, Tonga, Samoa, New Zealand, Fiji and the Marquesas.

The tickets are $40 per person.

TIPS:

Go early. Visit the whole seven villages and watch the IMAX before watching the evening show.

Wear comfortable shoes. There's a lot of walking from village to village.

Put sunscreen and bring sunglasses.

Wear light clothes.

Bring a backpack filled with snacks, sandwiches and water/drinks if you are travelling with children.

The food is okay at the Polynesian Cultural Center, but the line to buy the food/drinks after the evening show is way too long.

Bring a camera with a flash. Capture the fire/war dance.

(Note: I didn't go to the Polynesian Cultural Center this time because I was there in 2002 but the price to get in is correct. I check it out myself. We paid $20 then. I think.)

Address: Polynesian Cultural Center
Directions: See the concierge at the hotel. There is a pick-up at every hotel.
Phone: %b%s5%cr808-293-3333%c*
Website: http://%b%s5%crwww.polynesia.com%c*

• Updated Jan 3, 2009

Comments

joiwatani Used To Live Here!

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?