"Christmas Market" Christmas Market Tip by smirnofforiginal

Christmas Market, Tallinn: 5 reviews and 10 photos

The Christmas market is held in Raekoja plats (Tallinn's town hall square). It is a wonderful medieval setting and in the middle is a large Christmas tree.

Father Christmas has a hut with his sheep out back - still rather bemused as to why Santa, in Estonia, has sheep, but there you go. Children can go and see him (for free) and they will come away with a sweet each. The Santa we saw was very very nice.

Don't expect a Christmas market anywhere near the scale of some of the other European ones, such as Vienna. This is a tiny affair and the most you are going to get is some honey (it's got a very flowery taste to it), something knitted, a small paiting/drawing of Tallinn,a wooden bowl or something made by an iron monger. The market has quite a "local" feel to it and a lovely atmosphere and is by no means packed with tourists but I must say I was a little disappointed at the lack of anything to buy. I got a knitted hat for my friend's new baby, a tiny picture of Aleksander Nevski Katedraal and a couple of pots of honey.

There was at least one food vendor in the market. I think the term my husband used was "peasant food". He had a blood sausage whilst the kids had bacon (although it was all fat and no meat really) which they swallowed down with some cabbage. Being a vegetarian there was nothing on offer for me - but I am used to that whislt being abroad!

There was mulled wine on offer and they certainly did not scrimp on the alcohol - not a bad thing when it is as cold as it was!

My opinion would be- if you are heading to Tallinn in the winter you may as well aim to go when the market is on - it's another to do and the atmosphere is nice. The Christmas market alone is not a reason to go to Tallinn.

Directions: The Town Square, Old Town, Tallinn.

• Written May 4, 2007

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Tallinn?