Restaurant Artikel 461 'Verboden Toegang': "No entry!" Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Restaurant Tip by rsilva

Leiden Restaurants: 111 reviews and 124 photos

Verboden Toegang is Dutch for "No entry" and that is the theme of the restaurant. It is decorated with hundreds of warning signs from all over the world.
All the dishes on the menu have names that reflect a prohibition or a punishment of some kind.

This is a placed that I had heard a lot about but never had the chance to try out. It is located right off the Rapenburg canal (my favourite in Leiden), so on a nice day, it makes for a great walk.

I started with a Carpaccio (aptly named "Red Card"), which was good, but far from being one of the best I have had. My girlfriend had an excellent "Opgerolde bende", lamb ham rolled around green asparagus!
I had a very nice filet steak ("Topcrimineel"), which was tender and nicely cooked. Our other choice was not as good, though. The Dutch mini shrimp (hollandse garnaalen) with Avocado and apple were not as good as they should have been. The shrimp were not very tasty and the Avocado was not ripe. Too bad, as it had the potential of being a very nice dish.

Service was extremely friendly and all waiters/waitresses were happy and playful. It was, however, quite slow and it took some time for the food to reach our table.
Since, as I mentioned, it was a bit slow, we ended up not tasting any of the desserts.

This is the kind of restaurant I would call "Dutch". It is quite dark - wooden floor and partly also on the walls - and has that buzzing (loud) feel to it. I like places like this.

Prices were a bit steep, but not too exaggerated. We paid 60 Eur for a starter, a main and a couple of drinks (non-alcoholic).

Address: Kaiserstraat 7, 2311 GN Leiden
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: It is on the Kaiserstraat, which can be reached walking down the Rapenburg (from the station end) right before the canal "turns" left.
Phone: 071-5143388