"Jenner, a true inspiration" Top 5 Page for this destination Berchtesgaden Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Berchtesgaden Things to Do: 152 reviews and 324 photos

A special place
      A special place
    by iandsmith
      On the way down back to Berchtesgaden
    by iandsmith

"Standing on top of Jenner in the Bavarian Alps. To get there you go up to Koenigsee (King's Lake) and take the cable car. From the top it's just a few hundred metres to the top of Jenner with genuine 360 degrees view.
The lift was only working for 5 minutes on the hour, every hour. So enchanted was I with the ambience, panorama and stillness of the place I tarried that long whilst others had gone and was awakened from my blissful state by the next batch of liftees an hour later.
If you've never experienced mountain scenery, this would be a stunning start."
This is from my German pages and was one of the first things I wrote for VT. It all seems so long ago but the memory lingers today and was the reason I returned to the area yet, as you may have already read, I got sidetracked and jumped off the mountain instead of taking my time.
However you do it, Jenner is one of the magical places not only in Germany, but in all of Europe.
After I'd taken in the view I walked for 15 kilometres back to Berchtesgaden, at times following a circuitous route. It was such a pleasant experience; here and there picturesque outlooks, behind me those loveable cows of the alps, ahead the winding lane. It was all so romantic.

• Updated Apr 22, 2007

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Berchtesgaden?