Chez Lucien: "Chez Lucien" Ottawa Restaurant Tip by Kaspian

Ottawa Restaurants: 230 reviews and 327 photos

Chez Lucien - Entrance (2006)
by Kaspian

Chez Lucien - Entrance (2006)
    by Kaspian
      Chez Lucien - Inside (2006)
    by Kaspian
      Chez Lucien - Dinner (2006)
    by Kaspian
      Love How She Clutches A Wine Glass (2006)
    by Kaspian

It's one of those December nights, you know--the ones where the snow is falling quietly, it's cool outside but not cold, and in the colourful decorative lights and happy expressions on people's faces you can feel Christmas thick in the air. A night where just living feels like happiness itself.
As we approach the small and warmly glowing entrance of "Chez Lucien", I notice the snow-covered lamps lining the door and thoughts of magic wardrobes fill my head. Are we entering or exiting one?
And to my shock, it is like walking into a fantasy land! This restaurant and pub is much bigger on the inside than its quiet exterior would have you believe. It has a split-level layout and it's packed with people! My companion and I are lucky, there's only one free table left in the establishment.
Our friendly and always-smiling hostess seats us and gives us menus. The beer selection is great! There are plenty of microbrews on tap.
Lucien's atmosphere is nice and cozy--warmly lit, and the prints on the walls are beautiful. There's a spirit of mirth in here and jazz plays softly on the free jukebox.
The list of food on the one-page menu isn't very long--and mainly pub fare, but we order the specials--two different dishes of pasta. It's amazing! My fettuccine with shrimp is tad heavy on the garlic, but completely mouth watering nevertheless. The pub food served at tables around me looks scrumptious--not just your regular run-of-the mill fare.
When the bill comes, I am astounded. It's super cheap for usually deep-pockets Ottawa. Magic night, magic place.

Address: 137 Murray Street
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Located on Murray St., just east of Dalhousie.
Phone: 613-241-3533
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Pub/Brewery

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

More Restaurants in Ottawa (1)

Comments

Kaspian Used To Live Here!

Kaspian