"Hassles and "bargains" on Giza" Hawkers and hassle Tip by kratima

Hawkers and hassle, Cairo: 41 reviews and 33 photos

First of all - i didnt enjoyed Egypt so much i expected.

Second - when we went to the Giza pyramids, we hired an english spoking driver - he brought us to his preferate papyrus&perfumes shops, but at least he gave us the right advices for the pyramids area.

Third - the advices:
- never let your ticket out of your hand - if asked about it, just show it without letting it
- never stop to a vendor: "No, thanks" and the local "La, shukran" makes wonders; dont bother trying some fancy languages, the locals knows almost everyone of them.
- dont be fooled by anyone - i am from Romania; every time i said this, i get: "Oh, Hagi, the best soccer player" line. I promised myself that the first one that will say "Dorinel Munteanu" (another romanian soccer player) will get a tip from me - it never happened :p
- dont go on a camel, a horse, dont follow anyone, dont let anyone photo you, dont photo anyone - me & my friend escaped with only one tip, but we only stayed for 1 hour at Giza.

Fun Alternatives: A real alternative for Giza are Sakkara and Dashur - these are the things I liked the most in the Cairo area. Both Sakkara and Dashur are around 30 kilometers outside Cairo, they have more spectacular&even older pyramids then Giza and it is way much quiter - in fact, on Dashur we were almost all alone with the desert (and the guards). Above than, Dashur has a pyramid only a little bit smaller then Giza biggest (with a visitable interior as well) and also here there are the Bent Pyramid and the spectacular almost destroyed Black Pyramid. It worth the trip till there.

• Written Apr 20, 2007