""Dance of The Dead" in Beram" Beram Things to Do Tip by smirnofforiginal

"Dance of The Dead" fresco
      The Confraternity Church of St. Mary on Skrilinah
      more dead dancing
  • "Dance of The Dead" in Beram - Beram

Our guide book was as helpful in as much as telling us we needed to go to Beram, which we did. It's a small place with a whopping big church BUT this is NOT the church required!

There's map of sorts on a board near the church - and if you can follow the directions and find The Confraternity Church of St. Mary on Skrilinah, from it's directions... I salute you! We managed to follow the directions down a very steep, pokey, teeny, tiny lane to somebody's front door! (and getting the car back up created a cetain level of stress!).

Beram was deserted so we were a little kippered in our quest for the fresco. However a crumpled, old lady eventually tottered slowly along the road so I gave her my cheesiest smile, my best "Dobradan" and showed her a picture of "The Dance of The Dead. Our very old friend looked at us, pulled the biggest key I have ever seen out from her coat pocket, hot footed it into the passenger seat of the car and started screaming in Croatian and pointing madly with her stick.

The frescos are amazing and we were allowed to dwell as long as we wished. They were painted by Vincent from Kastav in 1474, but it is thought that he probably had 2 helpers! The longest compostition is the Homage of the Three Kings. The best, by far is the Dance of The Dead on the western wall.

As we left a coach of tourists arrived which means it must be possible to (somehow) pre-arrange a visit via a tour. Obviously a large tour is never going to be as good as a private viewing but unless you are in Beram at the same time as the little old and bent over lady with the very big key... you're gonna be stuffed!

• Updated Jun 19, 2007

Comments

smirnofforiginal

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Beram?