"Contemporary art museum in temporary location" Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art Tip by ozalp

From boat
by ozalp

I've first seen this museum from the boat. But when I decided to visit it I realized knowing the location did not help me to find it. After a long walk on water (!) in a rainy day, I finally reached the building. It reminded me Istanbul Modern, our modern art museum in Istanbul: Same unpainted concrete walls, same cold interior, same high ceilings. But in Istanbul, you don't feel the same. There is nothing but old buildings in Amsterdam. After this historical ambiance, modern art could be a little bit strange.
I like to see new creations of new artists. Some of them are really impressive. I don't remember all of them but one of the video recordings is unforgettable. I'll tell the history, as could as I remember:
It is about a homeless man who lived in Paris. He was from a South American country. One day he moved to Paris and started to live there, in streets, of course. Then the story begins: Our man had wanted a cup of coffee from a shop, the owner rejected. Homeless man got undressed to protest him. They put him under control after this incident. After 1 year or a period like that, they released him. Then he went to same café to ask for a cup of coffee. The owner rejected. He got undressed and put in jail or something. This repeated too many times. And authorities decided to deport him. I am not sure but I remember that he died before got deported.

Address: Paulus Potterstraat 13
Phone: +31-20-5732737
Website: http://www.stedelijk.nl

• Updated May 31, 2007

“I like my town with a little drop of poison.”

Have you been to Amsterdam?