"Ringing the bell at the Bishop Palace" Ambatoharanana Favorite Tip by Norali

Ambatoharanana General: 13 reviews and 20 photos

Bishop Palace
by Norali

Favorite thing: At the entry of the Anglican compound, I heard some voices coming from the yard. Decided to give it a second chance. I entered and saw three men removing wild herbs from the patches of the garden. They saw me and one guy greeted me. Responded. Got closer to them, first to greet he other two and asked whether it was possible to enter the buildings. For I having never seen (over the net) images of what interiors of Ambatoharanana buildings looked like, I simply suspected it was not possible nor customary. But glad I asked as I was told I had to check with Rev. Jean-Jacques at the Bishop Palace, as he, they said, had the keys. Btw, good to know, Malagasy people use to use first name behind a title, Dr Daniel, Rev. Jean-Jacques instead of Dr. Rakoto or Rév. Ranaivojaona. I explained the gardeners that I?d already tried it at the Bishop Palace & told them about my previous try. One of the gardeners was kind enough to offer me his company. I said I could do it alone & didn?t want to bother him & thanked him. ?But then?, one of the men insisted ?you really have to ring the bell?? Aaah! The bell. Hadn?t seen it. Was told I had to look for the little door at the rear end. Back to the Palace, I went to the little door at the rear end. Ringed the bell and was heard...

-Cont'd in below "Fondest memory"-

Fondest memory: ...Introduced myself to Zaza (as Rev. Ranaivojaona required to be called by his nick, I do so), as an Anglican from Malaza parochy and who was visiting Ambatoharanana and would like to visit the interiors of the buildings. He asked from which family. I cited my Grand-father?s name, not mine. As usual in those circumstances, I use to cite my grand-father?s name whenever asked from which family I was. Only when asked who I am, I would give my name. For safety reason (of a female solo traveller), I don?t really like people to know my name neither my place. Not that I didn?t feel safe in the compound, rather that I?m used to this trick to avoid ill-intentioned people to follow me around. Anyway, surprisingly to me, he nodded. Like he knew which family I talked about. He told me to wait for a sec, went upstairs to switch off the music. In no time, he was before me, offering to guide me around. In my request, I pointed to the Library Building and the Chapel to visit. For some unknown reason, I didn?t think of visiting the Bishop Palace?s interior.
Again, surprisingly, he offered to visit the Palace, a big English villa with surrounding veranda terrace & that is nestled in lush greenery. Flowers, shrubs, fruit trees? everything.

Fondest Memory: Must be crazy but on my way to return, the perspective of living in the Palace often popped to my mind. Not because it was a Palace, rather because this English-meet-colonial countryside villa inspires peace, is so charming. I ?saw? myself there? I like it at my place. To have me dreaming of living in another house, must be really worthwhile. ? I like it at my place, have everything there (even the English cottage details & feel !) but I?m this kind of person who sometimes falls for somewhere else, dreams of it but still sticks to old homie. It is my base.

• Updated Apr 22, 2007

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Ambatoharanana?