Chicago Fire House Restaurant: "South Loop-steakhouse" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Fire House Restaurant Tip by Dabs

Ribeye with bleu cheese
      Ribeye with bleu cheese
      Beef tenderloin
      Nutella crepes
      Banana bread pudding

Last visit 12/16/07

I made my 2nd trip to the Chicago Firehouse when Kat (keida84) came to Chicago, my first visit was for lunch which was more reasonably priced but with a smaller menu. I brought Kat here after a performance of the Nutcracker at the Auditorium, I thought she would enjoy it because it is located in a converted firehouse. Too bad it was so cold and already dark, we didn't really get to see the exterior.

The firehouse was built to serve the Prairie Avenue community where wealthy families like the Marshall Fields (department store), McCormicks, and Palmers (as in the Palmer House) lived. Some of the original features that still remain from the old firehouse are the tin ceiling, glazed tile walls, and the two fire poles located in the bar. Parts of the movie "Backdraft" were filmed here. Chicago's Mayor Daley frequently dines here, even bringing President Bush here for his birthday in 2006.

The dining room decor is warm and comfortable, the service on both visits was attentive.

Favorite Dish: We both started off with French onion soup, it was a cold day in Chicago and it was the perfect way to warm up. Next we had salads, I had a caesar salad which was good. For my entree I ordered the 8 oz. filet mignon ($34) with horseradish crust (extra $3) and Kat ordered a mango and chili bbq porkchop ($24).

I wouldn't say that the Chicago Firehouse has the best steaks in the city but it's a nice alternative to the overcrowded, oft overhyped steakhouses in the tourist area.

Address: 1401 S. Michigan Avenue
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: 312-786-1401
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: Steakhouse

• Updated Dec 23, 2007

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?