"Finding the Southern Museum of Flight" Birmingham Favorite Tip by grandmaR

• F-8 - Birmingham
  • T-28 - Birmingham
  • A12 - Birmingham
    by grandmaR

Favorite thing: Now we were heading for the Southern Museum of Flight which was supposed to be right next to the airport. We were supposed to get off and follow the airport fence (according to the brochure). So we did this and soon came to an S2F inside the fence. So we turned in and we were at Mercury Aviation - not the museum. So we went back out onto the perimeter road and kept looking. We came to another entrance but that was the Alabama Air National Guard. So we turned around again. Then we came to a T28 and some other airplanes, and turned in again - no not the museum - another entrance to Mercury Aviation.

Fondest memory: Finally Bob spotted a small sign pointing to the museum. We walked into the museum and were met by a man who said that the museum wasn't open today because they had stayed late a previous day before Christmas and so they were closed today to make up for that. But they were having a little impromptu jazz concert and we could come in and look around for free.

I looked around, but I got tired and went and sat down and listened to the jazz. (Bob always takes longer in the museums than I do as I just take pictures and keep walking, and he actually stops and reads the placards.)

Bob started to talk to the guys at the museum about what he had flown and said that he had flown just about everything because he had been at Test Pilot School, and I'd never really heard him talk about that before.

• Updated Oct 18, 2007

More General in Birmingham (1)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Birmingham?