VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Hit the Baths Early" Danubius Hotel Gellert Tip by OnTheRoadGoombah

Danubius Hotel Gellert, Budapest: 4,994 reviews and 34 photos

I stayed at the Gellert in 2005 and found it very charming. I was traveling alone and got a junior room -- which is barely bigger than the twin sized bed in it. It didn't matter as the bed was comfortable and I didn't spend much time in the room at all. The junior room was relatively inexpensive and was a great bargain.

By staying at the hotel, you have free access to the world famous Gellert Baths. Since I went in November, the warm baths were welcome relief. My only note of caution would be to go to the Baths early in the morning. I went down around 6:30 am and enjoyed the warm mineral baths. After I had gone sightseeing and got cold, I thought it might be relaxing to head back down there -- bad mistake. The water in the afternoon dod not resemble the clean clear water that I enjoyed in the morning.

Unique Qualities: In addition to the baths, the bartender downstairs was extremely helpful. I have learned never to ask concierges for recommendations, but instead to ask the cleaning staff or bartender. I asked my bartender where he would go out to eat with his wife and three kids for a traditional Hungarian meal.

So instead of being directed to an overpriced tourist trap, he recommended a nice family style restaurant near the Gellert. He even gave me instructions on riding the trolley to the restaurant. As soon as I find my receipt, I will share the name of the erstaurant with you...my loyal readers!

Address: Szent Gellert 1., Budapest
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: +36 1 889 5500
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.danubiushotels.com/en/budapest-hotels/danubius-hotel-gellert-budapest

• Updated Apr 12, 2007

Comments

OnTheRoadGoombah

“Been there...drank that”

Have you been to Budapest?