"The Night Markets" Taipei Nightlife Tip by cohdane

Taipei Nightlife: 75 reviews and 87 photos

Huahsi Market after dark

Huahsi Market after dark
    by cohdane
      Anything you can imagine is for sale
      Don't even ask.
    by cohdane
      Dining out at the night market
    by cohdane

There are several night markets in Taipei, and I think they are hands-down the best nighttime activity. They are sprawling mazes of covered alleyways, similar to the arcades and gallerias in Paris, but they are teeming with anything you could ever want! Of course there are acres of knickknacks and cheap goods for sale, but there are store-front massage parlors (legitimate, not seedy), herbalists, videos for sale, jewelry... to my Western eye it was all incredibly exotic. And food: buns, ribs, noodles, stuff you couldn't identify. I was in Taiwan for only one night (long story... there to give a lecture at a conference) and I went to the Huahsi Market with a couple of other guys by taxi. I cannot imagine having a better time. From the foot massages (I suspect the guy who did my massage was into martial arts, and must have had it in for me) to the snake soup (yes, it does taste like chicken), to the hole-in-the-wall noodle place where we had a late supper, those few hours were unforgettable. And isn't unforgettable the whole purpose of travel?

Dress Code: You probably shouldn't be nude. Other than that, anything goes.

Address: Take taxi, or public transport to Chientan Station
Directions: There are several night markets; the Shi Lin is the most famous, in the Shi Lin district. We went to the Hwahsi Market, near Lungshan Temple (a must-see, especially after dark!)
Theme: Eating and Drinking

• Updated Apr 10, 2007

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Taipei?