VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef!" Great Barrier Reef Tip by lisha74

Great Barrier Reef, Cairns: 58 reviews and 92 photos

The island we moored off of

The island we moored off of
    by lisha74
      From underwater camera - pic doesn't do it justice
      The Quicksilver boat
    by lisha74

How can you come to Cairns and not see the reef? There are many tour options available. I went with Quicksilver cruise to the Low Isles and couldn't have been happier with the choice. The boat moors just off-shore of a private island and gives you several hours to snorkel, swim, sunbathe, etc. Lunch and all snorkeling equipment is provided. They also run a smaller glass-bottomed boat with a marine biologist on-board. As an inexperienced snorkeler, this allowed me to see some of the aquatic life that I may otherwise not have seen (including a large sea turtle!) I also took my turn at snorkeling and saw beautiful species of fish and coral. The ride back to shore was almost as fun as the snorkeling - the sails came up and we flew across the water while a guitarist played on deck (including "Down Under", which just felt so appropriate).

• Written Apr 7, 2007

Comments

lisha74

“In the end the only thing we really own is our story. I'm just trying to live a good one.”

Have you been to Cairns?