"Even our hotel was colorful" Casa Palopo Hotel Tip by Suzie3

Hotel is colorful inside and out

Hotel is colorful inside and out
      Outside lounge area looking out at Lake Atitlan
    by Suzie3
      Original Botero in inside lounge area
      Garden area by the dock
      Bar at Casa Palopo
    by Suzie3

The service was the best of all the places we have stayed. Friendly, helpful, no question too silly. The best fresh lime drinks in all of Guatemala! We had the same bartenders as last year. They said they remembered us...hmm don't know if that is a good thing. Different chef than last year but still excellent. We couldn't get enough of his black bean soup for lunch. Every meal was terrific.

Highly recommend this place. Beautiful views of lake Atitlan. Sunsets like I have never seen. I watched one while looking out the large window in the shower. Room was very nice with mini bar. Very nice patio looking out over the lake.

Unique Qualities: A very small colorful place on the side of the caldera overlooking the whole of Lake Atitlan. There is a dock where you can go swimming in the lake or take a boat tour from. There are nice gardens on the way down to the lake. They do have a pool. Temps a little too cool for me to try. We birded off of the patios and saw some very nice birds.

Casa Palopo is situated between two nice small towns. Santa Catarina has lots of weavings for sale. It is a short 15 min ride to Panajachel.

Beautiful artwork. Lovely big fireplace to sit in front of with a drink before or after dinner.

Address: Just outside of Panajachel
Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel

• Written Apr 6, 2007

Comments

Suzie3

“I may be wandering but I am not lost.”

Have you been to Lago de Atitlán?