"The Linderhof experience" Top 5 Page for this destination Trip to Linderhof Castle Tip by iandsmith

Trip to Linderhof Castle, Füssen: 5 reviews and 20 photos

The impressive Temple of Venus

The impressive Temple of Venus
      Lake before the palace
    by iandsmith
      Tower of the small church
      ..and again
      The Moroccan house
    by iandsmith

I'll quote here from my emails:
"Linderhof, the only one of mad Ludwig's castle to actually be completed, beckoned me. Though it involved a circuitous bus route (2 and half hours and three buses each way), I deemed it appropriate that I choose this.
Why I deemed it appropriate was that my legs told me "Five hours on a bus sitting down sounds great". How could I deny them?
So at 9.35 I boarded the Mercedes, they of the suspension that sinks when the doors open to allow easier ingress and egress. The Germans would engineer something like that, despite what those who favour a certain French marque might have you believe, though others have since followed.
We rolled along the flat terrain, the Alps constantly at our side until we reached Oberammergau. On the final bus we then bisected the mountains and, though it was nice, it didn't quite have the drama of, say, the Dolomites or Berchtesgaden.
We arrived at Linderhof carpark and I immediately couldn't help but notice the stark contrast between this and Neuschwanstein. While one is a standout in an epic setting, the other seeks to bury itself between a forested hill and a forested mountain. Its seclusion so at odds with its more famous cousin.
On the small hill sits the small but very impressive Temple of Venus. Between that and the palace, in spring and summer, is a vibrant and colourful fountain and garden, neither of which was on show during my visit."

Directions: Out from Oberammergau

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated May 11, 2009

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Füssen?