"National Philarmony (Concert Hall)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Favorite Tip by OlenaKyiv
Kiev General: 194 reviews and 269 photos
Favorite thing: Kiev Philarmony or National Philarmony, is a concert hall in Kiev.
At the end of 19th century, Kiev flourished in its cultural development. In 1881, the Council of Elders of the Kiev Merchants Assembly acquired permission to establish a recreational area in the Tsarist Square (now European Square) where a year later a brick building decorated with towers and metal eaves was erected by Kiev architect Nikolayev and named the Merchants' House (Merchants' Assembly) . The building rapidly gained recognition among Kiev residents and became the center for cultural gatherings where society held masquerade balls, science and political conferences, charitable lotteries, and literary evenings. But due to the building's amazing acoustics the Merchants' House was famous for its musical performances.
During the Russian Revolution the building underwent a big change in its purpose and accommodated the Proletarian House of Arts, converted to the House of Political Education, and later to the Bolshevik Club and Republican Palace of Pioneers. The Merchant's Assembly ceased to exist in 1919. In 1927, the Philharmonic Society moved to Kharkiv when it became the capital of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. But in 1934 it returned to Kiev when the city regained its status.
At the beginning of World War II, the Philharmonic Society stopped its work, and most of its priceless archives were destroyed. During the German occupation of Kiev, the building was converted to a German Officer's Club. This was one of the important reasons why the building was not destroyed. In 1944, the Philharmonic Society resumed its operation.
Fondest memory: During the Soviet times, in 1962, the building was renamed to Kiev State Philharmonic after Mykola Lysenko for his 120th birthday anniversary and the 50th anniversary of his death. It was also awarded the status of architectural monument. In the 1980s, the building suffered a flood, during which many of its music libraries and archives perished. The conditions demanded restoration, which began in 1995. A year later, the restored building opened its doors to the public.
In October 1994, the newly elected President of Ukraine, Leonid Kuchma, granted the building the status of National Philharmonic of Ukraine. In 2000, the National Philharmonic received a cultural grant from the Government of Japan with which it was able to acquire a new concert grand piano and additional musical instruments for the symphony orchestra.
Official Web site
Information from Wikipedia
More Reviews (59)
- See All Do Ukrainians eat ethnic cuisine?
- See All What you should notice in St. Sophia
- See All The best home-cooked food
- See All Babiy Yar - not only in Kiev
- See All Getting around by a taxi