"Walking Tours" Walking Tip by richyoon

Walking, Amsterdam: 58 reviews and 171 photos

Picture with My Tour Guide Donald
by richyoon

I strongly recommend the New Amsterdam Free Tour. If this is your first time visiting, this is a fun tour to get an introduction to the city. The tour guides are young and hip, and are native English speakers. There is definitely a young crowd bent to this tour. I think partly because it advertises in the hostels and on the internet. However, the tour provides good historic context with great stories throughout.

Yes, the tour is free, but tips are welcome (and maybe even expected) at the end of the 3 hour tour. I would say that people typically tip between 5 to 10 Euros (and some clearly less), but I enjoyed it so much I tipped 20 Euros. It was the best value I received on my entire Europe trip.

There are two tours daily at 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM. The tour takes around the main sites in Old Amsterdam. They also have two additional paid tours which I also highly recommend. The Red Light Tour and the Pub Crawl were definite highlights of my visit to Amsterdam. You can get more information about these tours during the free tour. Look for my other tip on the Pub Crawl.

Directions: There's two meeting places for the start of this tour. Officially, they meet next to the Tourist Information Center in front of Centraal Station. However, if you are closer to Dam Square (Damrak), you can meet there.
Website: http://www.newamsterdamtours.com

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Updated Apr 4, 2007

More Things to Do in Amsterdam (1)

Comments

richyoon

“The world is so much bigger than yourself”

Have you been to Amsterdam?