"The biggest pull in the place" Top 5 Page for this destination Victoria and Albert Museum Tip by sourbugger
Victoria and Albert Museum, London: 69 reviews and 143 photos
The Victoria and Albert musuem is one of the great treasures of London. It has often be referred to as the 'Nation's attic', so diverse and unusual are it's varous collections.
Despite housing many priceless pieces of art, it is the rather knacked and heavily graffittied four-poster known as the great bed of Ware that is the most popular exhibit in the place.
At over 500 years old, it was used for hundreds of years in a couple of hotels in the town of Ware as a hotel bed. It must have been quite a USP when selling hotel beds, as they claimed it could accommodate 15 people. At just under 11 feet square, I doubt this very much. I would love to know how they could make such a claim (hell, I wouldn't have minded doing the research). They were either all midgets, or very friendly indeed.
I guess that this is part of the attraction. The carving on it are not overly avert, but the mere thought of a bed made for more than the normal two in a bed conjures up all sorts of naughty possibilties. When they talk about notches on the bedpost - I suspect this one may have more than it's fair share over it's lifetime.
Address: Cromwell Road, SW7
Directions: South Kensington tube
Phone: 0 20 7942 2000
More Reviews (218)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels