"Pickpockets near the Riga railway station" Riga Warnings Or Dangers Tip by indiana_ct

Riga Warnings and Dangers: 43 reviews and 35 photos

Someone attempted to pick my small rucksack one evening when I was coming out of the underpass close to Riga's railway station. Luckily I noticed the slight weight shift as the zip undid and Iturned and shrugged off the pickpocket. They were almost lucky! I had plenty of cash, cards and my passport in there.

I then realised that a couple of days previous it was not me who had left another rucksack zip open. Someone must have opened it in the same area but found nothing in the pocket.

My mistake was that I had forgotten to remove the rucksack from my back when I walked into Riga city centre. I normally carry it by my side where I can see it and that is where it should be.

Few cities in the world are free of pickpockets. Riga suffers in the same way. The area of the railway station seems to be the hotspot. I have also heard of wallets being stolen from people walking accross the city centre parks at night.

• Written Apr 3, 2007

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Riga?