"Cool Building, Poorly Managed" Luxor Hotel and Casino Tip by LFChachere

Luxor Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas: 27,869 reviews and 146 photos

I am in Las Vegas frequently, and I had for a long time been fascinated by the structure of the hotel and wanted to see the rooms and elevators. In retrospect, it might have made more sense to simply ask to "see a room" without taking one.

I have read lots of complaints about long lines for check-in and check-out. I did not experience this (well, check-out did take awhile) .. but I would at all recommend avoiding this hotel for 2 reasons:
1. The cigarette smoke is really a problem. The bad air just rises from the casino down below and seems to permeate the entire place.
2. The internet service was not working, but more significantly, dealing with the hotel staff I learned that the hotel does NOT focus on quality/professional staff. I needed to do work early in the morning. The hotel reception gave me MIS-information that actually delayed the internet service being restored; she told me that I needed to pay TWICE because the internet service was not priced per 24 hours, as stated on the TV, but you had to pay for each day, starting at 2AM. So even though I paid at 11PM, she told me that it expired 3 hours later, and I needed to pay again. This was false, and when the service man FINALLY showed up to fix the problem, we had to deal with the problem of having 2 active codes preventing the service from working.

Anyway, I told them I was a stock trader, I needed to do my work at the market open, 6:30AM, and they basically killed about 2 hours of time getting this resolved.

Anyway, this is NOT a quality hotel, in a city where there is a lot of competition. Yes, the building is really cool, but it's nicer to just visit. And actually, the blue eyes on the sphinx outside the entrance is a bit tacky! (even by Vegas standards)

Address: 3900 Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89119
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: +1 702-597-7777
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.luxor.com

• Updated Apr 1, 2007

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Las Vegas?