Havana 59: "A revolution in food" Top 5 Page for this destination Havana 59 Tip by b1bob

Havana 59, Richmond: 1 reviews and 3 photos

Havana 59

Havana 59
      mural outside the restaurant
    by b1bob
      part of the big group of us
    by b1bob

This place was fast becoming a Richmond culinary institution when the flood waters of Hurricane Gaston in August, 2004 put this place out of business for more than a year. The good news is, the owners were determined to reopen as soon as they could. A large group of 15 of us reserved a big table here in March, 2007. At first, I wasn't too sure about this because I knew they weren't cheap. However, I'm glad I went. You pay more for the food, but they give generous portions. The music and the decor of the restaurant was like what you would imagine a Cuban eatery before the 1959 revolution to be. If I couldn't see the Richmond Farmer's Market out the front window, I would imagine myself in Cuba. The wait staff was very attentive. Still, the service was slow even considering the fact that it was a Saturday night and we had a huge group. I thought they had to hunt, skin, and cook our food. It took them just as long to bring us our cheques. I was wondering if they figured them up with an abacus! Overall, this is the type of restaurant I would recommend to bring a date for a special occasion and they accommodate large groups well.

Favorite Dish: I had the roasted Half Chicken "El Aljibe" marinated in a Seville Orange-Garlic Sauce. Instead of being served with plantain polenta and braised collard greens like it says on the website, they served it with black beans and rice, which was just as good and just as Cuban. The chicken was tender and the rice and beans were phenomenally good. I made sure the dishwasher didn't have to do much work on my plate.

en español, em português

Address: 16 North 17th Street, Richmond, VA 23219
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: From I-95: Take exit 74B. Turn left on E. Franklin St. Turn right on N. 15th St. Turn left onto E. Main St. Turn left on Oliver Hill Way. Turn left on E. Franklin St. Turn left on N. 17th St.
Phone: (804) 780-2822
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.havana59.net

• Updated Sep 27, 2007

Comments

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

b1bob

Have you been to Richmond?