The Elite Cafe: "Cajun Food in San Francisco" The Elite Cafe Tip by Rixie

The Elite Cafe, San Francisco: 2 reviews and 0 photos

The Elite Cafe advertises that it serves "exquisite food with the flavors of New Orleans," and as soon as I sat down, I knew that it must be true, because there were four different kinds of Tabasco sauce on the table. From my visits to New Orleans, I learned that people there take their Tabasco (a local hot sauce) seriously. Shops even sell tiny travel bottles of the stuff so that residents won't be deprived when they're away from home.

The Elite Cafe offers traditional Cajun dishes like jambalaya, gumbo, and beignets, with a California twist. This is not a budget restaurant (see website for sample menus and prices), but the food and ambience make it a good place for a "splurge" meal.

The line midday on a Sunday can be long, but we waited only 30 minutes for a sidewalk table where we could enjoy the sunshine and watch the passersby. Free entertainment, lovely weather, attentive service, yummy food -- what could be better?

Favorite Dish: I had the Cajun-style braised beef hash with poached eggs. I liked it, but if I have it again, I'll order it without the Bechemel sauce, which made it a little too rich. The fresh orange juice was good, too.

Address: 2049 Fillmore Street
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On Fillmore between California and Pine Streets
Phone: 415-67ELITE (415-673-5483)
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.theelitecafe.com/

• Updated Mar 25, 2007

Comments

Rixie

“Travel may be an addiction, but it's cheaper than drugs.”

Have you been to San Francisco?