"Balos, not the same one after 5 years" Crete Island Off The Beaten Path Tip by parrastaka

Crete Island Off The Beaten Path: 138 reviews and 238 photos

Balos Beach still a Beauty (2006)
by parrastaka
      Balos Beach still a Beauty (2006)
      The ferry
    by parrastaka

I needed to write this. More or less 5 years ago, in summer 2001 , I went in a trip through Mediterranean Europe with some friends.

At that time we read in a magazine about Balos Beach, a far away difficult to reach beach in the North Western corner of Crete. We read it was worth the effort to try and get there by car, even despite of the bumpy road, the Kri-kri goats all around and the 20 minute walk for the Cantina Boat parking.

We went there. It took us a long time but we were positive about it. We arrived at 03:00 am, we slept in the car park, and early in the morning, after the 20 minute walk, we arrived at 'the Beach'.

Balos Beach is a wonderful place. Apart from village noises, where backpackers and alternative tourists arrive to enjoy it, away from the crowds. You arrive there and say 'hello' to other few fellow travellers that get there. You enjoy it and of course you keep it clean.

All that effort to get there by car, and walking... people that arrived there KNEW you cannot throw waste in such a place.

However in 2006 I went back to Greece, and back to Balos Beach. We did it again. We arrived to 'the Beach' my friends were stunned with the view, the cristal clear water... but I realized something. Balos Beach was dirty. OK it was not filthy like some near-city beaches are in Greece. But c'mon, this is a far away difficult to reach beach.

The explanation proved clear to me when at around 12:00 pm a big ferry arrived to the beach , carrying hundreds of tourists to the beach. They were carrying their ferry sandwiches, their plastic waters and their chairs and umbrellas. Balos was crowded after 30 minutes. And these people, showed no respect to the environment.

It is a pity, but if you want to enjoy Balos you gotta go either in low season, or before 12:00 pm during the summer, early in the morning.

Massive, uncontrolled tourism is a cancer. We must educate toursim, do something.

• Updated Mar 25, 2007

“depart, suffer, meet and above all, enjoy it all!”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Crete Island?