"Turf Cutting" Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands Local Custom Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Falkland Islands Local Customs: 8 reviews and 8 photos

Turf Cutter in Action
by SabrinaSummerville

I was surprised to discover that people still cut turf to light their fires in the Falklands, and while I was there I was treated to a live demonstration of turf cutting. It would seem that in this part of the world the turf is still cut by hand - by this I mean that a man goes out and cuts it with a shovel, as opposed to using a turf cutting machine.

Our guide explained to us that it is the man's job to go out and cut the turf, but the turf is then left on the land to dry out and the woman of the house must go to the site every few weeks to turn over the turf so that it will dry out evenly.

I forget whose job it is to bring it home ;-)

It would seem that there are still about 30 families on the islands who use turf as their main fuel - given that there are just 2,500 people in total on the island, that's quite a high number in this day and age.

Oh, for those of you who don't know what turf is, it's basically peat fuel which is cut from bogs - it looks for all the world like big black sods.

• Updated Mar 20, 2007

Comments

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Falkland Islands?