"Visit The National Orchid Garden" Singapore Things to Do Tip by kelnsha
Singapore Things to Do: 1,995 reviews and 3,531 photos
The National Orchid Garden is one of the world's largest orchid displays featuring over 60,000 of these delicate looking but incredibly hardy plants, including the Vanda Miss Joaquim. This hybrid orchid, Singapore's national flower, was discovered in 1893 by Agnes Joaquim, in her garden.
Some of the attractions:
1. VIP Orchid Garden has a collection which features a select group of orchid hybrids named after visiting State Dignitaries and VIPs from within and outside Singapore.
2. Burkill Hall, built in 1866, this colonial bungalow is an excellent example of tropical architecture. Once home of the Gardens' directors, the hall is now used to host VIP events and other functions.
3. The Orchidarium is where most of the wild orchids displayed in the National Orchid Garden are to be seen. Despite generally being less showy and free-flowering than the cultivated orchids, the wild ones often have delicate and intricate blooms.
4. The Cool House, encloses a montane tropical forest. Trees and rocks are draped with a profusion of spectacular orchids and fascinating carnivorous plants. The cool air, drifting mist and rushing torrent provide a highly realistic representation of high elevation sites in the tropics and make for an unforgettable experience.
5. Tan Hoon Siang Mist House, set against a backdrop pf tropical foliage and cultural decor, a host of rare orchid cultivars from the Gardens' collection is displayed here.
6. Yuen-Peng McNeice Bromeliad Collection, over 3000 species and 500 hybrids of these highly exotic and most unusual plants from Central and South America are housed here.
8. Crane Fountain.
Opening hours: 8.30 am to 7 pm daily (last ticket sale at 6pm).
Admission Fee: SGD5 per adult, SGD1 for students and senior citizens (60 years and above) and children (below 12 years) are free.
Address: Singapore Botanic Gardens 1 Cluny Rd S'pore 259569
Directions: The nearest entrance to the National Orchid Garden is through the Burkill Gate along Tyersall Avenue.
Phone: (65) 64717361
More Things to Do in Singapore (32)
More Reviews (50)
- See All Heritage Tree, Tembusu (Fragraea...
- See All Don't Miss The "Yuan Yang" & Lycheer...
- If you have only a few days in...
- See All Up to S$1000 Fine For Littering!
kelnsha's Related Pages
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels