"MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL ARTS AND CRAFTS" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa Things to Do Tip by DAO

Sanaa Things to Do: 42 reviews and 98 photos

THE ENTRANCE - IT WAS OPEN!
by DAO

THE ENTRANCE - IT WAS OPEN!
      A TRADITIONAL TOWER HOUSE
      THE FORTIFIED DOOR
    by DAO

THIS IS NOT THE NATIONAL MUSEUM! The Museum of Traditional Arts & Crafts is housed in the former residence of an Imam. I got quite excited about visiting this living history museum after speaking to an English student studying Arabic here. It is just of the main Midan al-Tahrir (Tahrir Square) and before you get to the National Museum. I got up early and arrived at the opening time of 8am. I went past the massive fortified door (pictured) into the courtyard and expected to start my tour. Then I found out it is under refurbishment!

If you do get inside, it is supposed to be not only displays of traditional art and craft, but also a living example of life in one of the towers of the Old Town. There is an example of the traditional ‘Mafraj’ – a sitting room at the top of houses where men go to chew Qat and talk about the issues of the day. I only saw the outside of the building which is a great example of the ‘San’ani’ style of what I would call a medieval skyscraper. They are built with an unknown quantity of rock, stone, bricks, mud (yes mud) and paint. This one is well preserved, but many in the old town lean or have literally fallen into dust.

I am told the displays are fantastic. I hope it is now back open to the public.

Directions: In the North corner of Midan al-Tahrir (Tahrir Square). To the left of the Al-Mutawakil Mosque.

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

DAO

“NEXT STOP - THE SILK ROAD”

Have you been to Sanaa?