"Le Château du Clos Lucé in Amboise" France Things to Do Tip by Carmanah

My ticket that got me into the Clos Lucé
      Château du Clos Lucé
      The Renaissance Garden
    by Carmanah

After our morning visiting the Château de Chambord, we made our way to the quaint town of Amboise for lunch. After souvenir shopping and finding some food at a boulangerie, our class joined up together and walked up the road to the Château du Clos Lucé.

The Château du Clos Lucé was initially built back in 1107 but it had exchanged ownership several times while remaining a royal estate. It's most famous for being the final home of Leonardo da Vinci from 1516 until da Vinci's death in 1519. It was here where King François I paid da Vinci a modest sum so that he could think and dream freely for the remainder of his life.

A visit to the Clos Lucé is like visiting a Renaissance palace and a da Vinci museum simultaniously. While not entirely an art museum, the Clos Lucé acts as a display haven for some of da Vinci's most famous drawings and inventions. Surrounding the château is the Parc Leonardo da Vinci which is a traditional renaissance garden. It makes for a very romantic and picturesque experience!

Address: 2, Rue Clos Lucé, 37400 Amboise, France
Directions: Located in the town of Amboise which is a 2 hour drive south-west of Paris along the Loire River.
othercontact: infos@vinci-closluce.com
Phone: 33 (0) 2 47 57 00 73
Website: http://www.vinci-closluce.com

• Updated Jul 18, 2007

Comments

Carmanah

“You only live once!”