Norma's: "Upscale brunch...WAY upscale" Norma's at Le Parker Meridien New York Tip by Bunsch

The hip dining room at Norma's
by Bunsch

Norma's, which is located inside the Parker Meridian on 57th Street (ergo, very easy to get to, and with plenty of other stuff around to entertain you fore and aft), is my son's favorite place to go for brunch. So on a recent visit to the City, it was time for me to try out the vaunted French toast. I took three friends with me and swore that it would be the best meal they'd ever had at that hour of the morning. Unfortunately, that wasn't our experience. The food was excellent -- or would have been, if the bacon had arrived hot rather than cold, and all of us had actually gotten what we ordered -- but the service was appalling. We tried several times to have things made right, without success. Since Norma's prices run $7.00 for a glass of orange juice (freshly squeezed, but still!), this was a very expensive flop. I will say that I cornered the manager as we were preparing to leave, and she comped the meal, which left us all feeling slightly more appeased. Maybe we just got there on a bad day, or at the wrong time.

Favorite Dish: Well, the French toast truly WAS phenomenal! I had crispy French toast with caramel sauce, but they make a variety -- foie gras brioche, chocolate decadence, etc. People rave about the pancakes, too. Portions are large, perhaps to compensate for the long waits to be fed.

Address: 118 W. 57th St, New York
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: At The Parker Meridien
Phone: 212 708-7460
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: Breakfast

• Updated Mar 14, 2007

Bunsch Visits Here Frequently!

“Onward and upward!”

Have you been to New York City?