"Take a walk!" Kuala Lumpur Off The Beaten Path Tip by bumpychick

Kuala Lumpur Off The Beaten Path: 280 reviews and 507 photos

Pitcher plant fountain
by bumpychick

As I begin to write my Kuala Lumur tips, I quickly realise that everything I have photos of or tips about has already been extensively covered by other VT members!
So here is my unique (I hope) tip.
Don't rely on public transport or guided tours to take you to or show you the sites. Pick up a map and walk it!
Start by going to the Menara tower. This will give you an excellent view and therefore 'overview' of the city, and provides some perspective on the relative locations of the attractions. Use the maps around the tower to identify the places you wish to see.
Head off to your next destination. If heading towards the colonial area, use a nearby skyscraper to keep you going in the right direction, as most of the famous buildings are low-rise.
The Petronus towers are easy to find from any direction!
You have to be feeling very fit in order to walk to the Butterfly or Bird parks, or the other attractions located on that hill. It's Ok going, but once you've spent a few hours looking (and walking) around, it becomes quite hard to summon up enough energy to walk back to your hotel.
You can't walk to the Batu caves!

• Updated Jan 9, 2008

More Off The Beaten Path in Kuala Lumpur (1)

“I would like to spend my whole life travelling, if I could borrow another life to spend at home.”

Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?