"A shocking change in landscape" Padjelanta Nationalpark Things to Do Tip by sim1

Padjelanta Nationalpark Things to Do: 10 reviews and 36 photos

Twinflower
      Dwarf Cornel
      Entering Padjelandta National Park
    by sim1

Once again the trail leads through a forest of birches, leaving not that much chances for a nice place to stop along the way. But no worries, there is a perfect spot for a short break or picnic when you arrive at the river at Slihtavagge.

It is only a short steep climb up from the river at Slihtavagge and then all of a sudden the landscape opens up. Before your eyes is the immense landscape of Padjelanta National Park. The sudden change in landscape is so very shocking, from endless days in the forest to, without any forewarning, this wide open valley and views as far as the eyes can reach. The photos don't do this landscape justice; no they are not even close to showing its true beauty. But it is engraved in my mind and heart and I wish I could share this moment with you somehow.

While I write down these memories I get goose bumps again and tears cloud my eyes. Yes, these are the exact same feelings I had when standing there, at the entrance of Padjelanta. The only thing not present now is the pounding heart and heavy breathing, while trying to catch my breath after the short steep climb. I wonder how my face must have looked, probably stunned, and in awe at the same time. I remember not being able to utter words for a few minutes as the landscape totally absorbed my mind and emotions. Yes, we are finally here, at Padjelanta, and yes, this is only the very beginning of what Padjelanta has to offer....

You can read more on my Kartevarekåtorna page about my this fourth leg of the hike.

Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1c048/2b96d/

• Updated May 24, 2008

Comments

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Padjelanta Nationalpark?