"La Musée d'Orsay" Musee d'Orsay Tip by Carmanah

Musee d'Orsay, Paris: 275 reviews and 558 photos

A blurry photo of inside the Musée d'Orsay

A blurry photo of inside the Musée d'Orsay
    by Carmanah
      Vincent Van Gogh's "Bedroom in Arles"
      Edouard Manet's "Olympia"
      Vincent Van Gogh's Self-Portrait
      Claude Monet's Japanese Bridge
    by Carmanah

Located in a reconverted train station overlooking the Seine, the Musée d'Orsay is a beautiful art museum that's home to some of Europe's most famous pieces of artwork. From Rodin sculpture to Cézanne paintings, the Musée d'Orsay carries mostly French artwork in all kinds of mediums.

When I visited the Musée d'Orsay, I was taking a grade 9 art class. Because I was missing class to travel to France, my art teacher gave me a project to do while on the road. Particularly, I had to look at the art of famous artists such as Claude Monet and Vincent Van Gogh, and I had to describe the texture of the paint and really closely study their techniques. I then had to write a journal on what I noticed. I think I must have written on Van Gogh's "Bedroom In Arles" and his "Self-Portrait", as they were definitely some of the most famous of his pieces that were on display at the museum. I also remember seeing some of Monet's paintings, including "Japanese Bridge". I was thrilled to see it because I had recently visited Monet's studio in Giverny only a few days before. While I don't recall seeing Edouard Manet's "Olympia", but I know it's on display too.

Although it has been a long time since I visited, I'd recommend the Musée d'Orsay for serious art fans because it's here where you'll find a lot of pieces that are often considered essential to the European art canon. This also makes the museum a good place to visit if you're even a casual art fan, as you'll likely recognize many of the pieces of display.

While the interior architecture of the Musée d'Orsay makes it a very interesting space to explore, the nice thing about its layout is that it's not too big as to overwhelm visitors. All in all, if you're able to fit it into your schedule while in Paris, it is definitely worth while!

Address: 62 rue de Lille, 75343 Paris
Phone: +33 (0)1 40 49 48 14
Website: http://www.musee-orsay.fr

• Updated Oct 13, 2006

Comments

Carmanah

“You only live once!”