will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you?d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

"Border crossings between Burma and Thailand" Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Transportation Tip by Mique

Myanmar (Burma) Transportation: 149 reviews and 165 photos

The rules apparently have changed again. Now you can enter Burma again overland at either Kowthoung or Tachileik (and exit there too) but you need to get a special permit (aka a package tour-thingy) to do so. You can get permits (or info on them) by emailing to them. From Tachileik you have to fly on since the overland route is closed to foreigners and if you come form the south then either take a flight from there to Yangon or take the boat to Myeik (around $25 one way). After that you'll have to fly to Yangon with either Air Bagan or Air Mandalay. Both charge $87 dollars for a one-way ticket (all prices are from before the price rise of august 2007). If you want to do this trip overland you'll need a special permit which you need to apply for 2-3 weeks in advance. And you can never get the permit just by itself. It is always part of a package tour and therefore quite costly. The MTT people told me that it would start from around $500 for a 3 night/4 day trip incl. transport and lodgings but still that is a huge amount of money.

For info on the permits/package tours contact the ministry of Hotels and Tourism.

Mode: TO
Type: Car/Motor Home

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Apr 4, 2011
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse


Mique Used To Live Here!


“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde (thanks Luna!)”

Online Now


Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 2 5 9
Forum Rank:
0 0 3 1 4

Have you been to Myanmar (Burma)?

  Share Your Travels