"Hop-on, hop-off bus" Boat, Bus & Bike Tours Tip by toonsarah

Boat, Bus & Bike Tours, Brussels: 8 reviews and 6 photos

Golden Tours bus
by toonsarah

As we only had one day in which to see Brussels we decided to get a ticket for one of the ?hop-on, hop-off? buses that tour the city. There appeared to be at least three companies operating these, all following more or less the same route. We chose Golden Tours, simply because we?d picked up a leaflet at the tourist information centre on the Grand Place and could buy our tickets from there.

I have mixed feelings about whether to recommend this tour, perhaps because it isn?t something we usually do and I?m not sure whether or not this was a good example. It certainly fulfilled our aim of seeing more of the city than we could otherwise have done, and would have been a good way to identify places we might want to return to for a closer look if time had permitted. And we took advantage of the hop-on hop-off principle to do just that ? at the Rue Nueve to look for lunch and at the Atomium.

But the promised multi-lingual commentary, on aging and rather grubby headphones, wasn?t worth bothering with, and the bus had a tendency to linger too long at a few of the stops where there was little to be seen, which was a frustrating waste of some of our precious minutes. On the whole though I think it was just about worth the 16 EUR (per person) that we paid ? but maybe you should try a different company in the hope of at least getting cleaner headphones!

Address: Several to choose from in Brussels
Directions: Located throughout the city.
Website: http://www.goldentours.be

• Updated Mar 2, 2007

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Brussels?