"Do *not* drive." Parking & Driving Tip by Carmanah

Parking & Driving, Boston: 28 reviews and 17 photos

The Boston downtown skyline from Charlestown
by Carmanah

Half of downtown Boston was being dug up when I visited, so that an underground expressway system could be built. This construction is was known was the Big Dig. All the elevated freeways were being torn down at the time that I visited, making traffic somewhat chaotic.

Big Dig aside, traffic in Boston's famously ugly. As someone once wrote on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Message Boards, 'Not only is parking expensive (and on-street parking is nearly impossible to find,) driving in Boston is frustrating, to say the least. Streets are poorly marked, follow no discernible pattern, change to one-way without warning and the other drivers are rude and downright dangerous--and this coming from someone who lives in the heart of the city and drives as little as possible. However, Boston is a wonderful walking city, with lots of parks and scenic paths to follow, and its small size makes it very accessible'

I never drove while in Boston, but did get a few rides from friends. I found that their subway system the T, was more than adequate to see all the attractions in and around Boston. I wouldn't rent a car if I were to visit again, I'd rely on the T the entire time.

• Updated Dec 29, 2006