"Eating habits" Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Local Custom Tip by Manyana
Saudi Arabia Local Customs: 97 reviews and 78 photos
i assume many people think that arabs eat with their hands. ture but not exactly. the norma nowadays is to eat with forks and spoons, following the western style i suppose. however, bread and gravy and similar stuff are eaten with hands. Using hands, i think, is an islamic tradition that became integrated into saudi culture. Eating with two fingers can be viewed as arrogance. Eating with five fingers might be seen, 'hey have you never seen food before?' and that's why it's always the best to be in the middle using three fingers or as the islamic traditions dictate or so i heard,lol.
even using forks and knives has become saudised or islamicised. this's the fun part i like the most. in restaurants, the waiters always arrange my utensils as the western etiquette states, forks and spoons on my left side. and i always put them on the right side. saudis eat with their right hands on all occasions. if you use your left hand, it might be considered something offensive as it's the toilet hand. i remember once i couldn't move my right hand , so i had to use my left. oh i was instantly told to stop eating, not literally tho,lol
so while eating in a saudi house, dear traveller remember:
- wash your hands first, it's considered an islamic habit
- re-arrange your spoons and knives and use your right hand
- if eating with hands, better to use three fingers
- and always remember to say 'bismillah' at the beginning of your meal, and 'alhamdulilah' at the end, an islamic tradition.
- even when you drink, the glass should in your right hand
interesting ha? yeh i know:D wonder if you already believe that i follow everything,lol.
More Local Customs in Saudi Arabia (17)
More Reviews (29)
- See All Educational revolution
- See All Never drink Tap water
- the Nighty Bustle of Ramdan
- See All Religion is the Epitome of Saudia
- See All the Industrial East of Petrolium
Manyana's Related Pages
Have you been to Saudi Arabia?Share Your Travels