"Feeding Tortoises at Liberation Pond" Top 5 Page for this destination Kek Lok Si Temple Tip by SLLiew
Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang: 75 reviews and 157 photos
At the lower section of Kek Lok Si temple, just a few steps downhill from the Vegetarian Restaurant is the "Liberation Pond" where tortoises of different species, ages and sizes are found.
Tourists and visitors can buy vegetables "Kangkong" and feed to these constantly eating "machines". Tortoises are reverred by the Chinese for their longevity.
Very often, locals will "release" their pet tortoises into this "Liberation Pond" to spare them from ending up in the restaurant table top. A few years ago, some ununscrupulous gang actually stole many tortoises from this pond to sell them illegally.
Address: Ayer Itam, 11500 George Town, Pulau Pinang,
Directions: At Jalan Balik Pulau, close to funicular
Phone: +60 4-828 3317
More Things to Do in Penang (56)
More Reviews (165)
- See All Service Apartment in Batu Ferringhi
- See All Buying fruits and local agriculture...
- See All Penang Famous "Curry Mee"
- "Titi Kerawang" Waterfalls
- See All Getting dizzy in the back seat
- See All Gurney Hotel hangout
- See All Penang State Mosque, Jalan Masjid Negeri
- See All Driving in Penang Island - challenging...
- See All Hiking on PWA water pipe trail
- See All Botanic Walk
- See All How to order food at hawker center
Been to Penang?Share your travels with the world!
SLLiew's Related Pages
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels