Gravitas: "Gourmet food but too noisy" Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Restaurant Tip by XenoHumph

Houston Restaurants: 273 reviews and 220 photos

Gravitas American bistro, Houston, Texas
by XenoHumph

This restaurant has gourmet food AND big portions. Our meal was excellent and the service is very good. The kitchen is open to the main room so you can see the cooks which is fun. So it pains me to have to put some negativity in this review. But, it was so noisy that i couldn't hear myself speak and you have to shout to try to have a conversation. The noise simply comes from everyone's conversation as I guess the walls and ceiling/floor are very reflective. They need to put in some carpets!! I also went a Saturday night, and the restaurant was full. Maybe a week night would have been more quiet. Cigarette smoke from the bar drifted in the main room which was annoying as well.
Reservation recommended.

Favorite Dish: The first courses are huge and I was already full after my risotto (delicious). The mussels and fries I had as entrée were excellent and my friends had steak, chicken and lamb and all loved it. We had great wines. The wine list is extensive and includes a high-end list where bottles cost more than $100.

Address: 807 Taft st, Houston, TX77019
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Just South of Allen Parkway, East of Montrose. Old brick building along Taft St.
Phone: 713-522-0995
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://www.gravitasrestaurant.com/

• Updated Feb 26, 2007

Comments

XenoHumph Lives Here!

XenoHumph

“Open your mind!”

Have you been to Houston?