"Go Whale Watching" Top 5 Page for this destination Water Sports Tip by AKtravelers
Water Sports, Oahu: 11 reviews and 14 photos
Hawaii is the winter breeding and feeding ground for humpback whales. While they really prefer the waters off of Maui, Oahu has more than its fair share of these magnificent creatures and some whale-watching excursions to offer. Because of the potential for rough seas in the winter, we went out on the biggest ship available -- the Star of Honolulu -- in order to make sure our meals stayed down.
I have been on two whale-watching trips out of Honolulu Harbor (by the Aloha Tower) and I saw whales on only one. The good news about the Star of Honolulu is that you get a return voucher if you see no whales so we will be going out again soon (for free). This is important to know if you are a visitor -- waiting to whale-watch at the end of your trip means you'll never get to use the voucher, so if you really want to see whales plan the voyage at the beginning of your vacation.
Directions: THe Aloha Tower Marketplace is the debarking point for the Star of Honolulu. You board right by Hooters.
More Things to Do in Oahu (22)
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a...
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels